Bachelor of Arts in Education
Major in Secondary Education in Mathematics
The Bachelor in Education has three components: general education, professional education requirements, and major requirements. The practicum in teaching provides students with field experiences to demonstrate mastery of the accomplished practices in a school setting during the regular school year. Students must make arrangements to comply with the internship requirements during a regular school day schedule and must comply with state and local regulations. The internship experience is in English only. Students must demonstrate English language proficiency in listening, speaking, reading, and writing. The student must refer to the Internship Handbook available from the Academic Director for specific requirements and procedures.
It provides teacher candidates with a solid preparation in the field of education as well as with the academic background to enhance their general professional competence and their teaching skills. Specific courses are integrated in the curriculum in order to satisfy the ESOL Standards and Performance Indicators for each standard set by the State of Texas. ESOL Standards have been integrated in selected education courses. Students must comply with state and local requirements or limitations to practice the profession.
The students will:
- Understand the importance of the social and personal mission of the teaching profession.
- Accept the changes that will lead to the broadening of their knowledge and experience as teachers and use that knowledge effectively in the teaching - learning process.
- Analyze social, psychological, and philosophical foundations of education.
- Choose and effectively use resources and materials to improve their teaching methods.
- Understand and use different educational strategies and techniques effectively.
- To develop among students good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Be exposed to a variety of experiences that will help them to develop the skills, attitudes and abilities in order to become change agents in the field of education.
- Develop awareness of the responsibility of keeping abreast in their fields of specialization.
- Understand, revise, and enrich the curriculum of their area of specialization.
- Be able to incorporate technological innovations into their personal life and their teaching.
- Develop the skills that will make them lifelong learners.
- use diverse techniques in teaching at the elementary level,
- introduce technological techniques in their methodology,
- develop classroom assessment,
- develop portfolio,
- develop lesson plans,
- enroll in continuing education courses,
- communicate effectively in English & Spanish both orally and in writing
1. Minimun GPA 2.50
Education Programs Requirements
Students must comply with all State and school district requirements for their degree area. Additionally, the must show evidence of a passing score on the State TExES to include bilingual education requirements, as applicable.
SCIE 111-O Integrated Science I
SCIE 112-O Integrated Science II
ENGL 115-O College, Reading and Writing I
ENGL 116-O College, Reading and Writing II
ENGL 331-O Public Speaking
QYLE 110-O Attitude Development and University Adaptation
SPAN115 -O Reading, Writing, and Oral Communication in Spanish I
SPAN116 -O Reading, Writing, and Oral Communication in Spanish II
SPAN255-O Spanish for Writing and Research
HIST 273-O History of the United States of America
MATH 151-O Pre-Calculus I
MATH 152-O Pre-Calculus II
SOSC 111-O Individual, Community, Government, and Social Responsibility I
SOSC 112-O Individual, Community, Government, and Social Responsibility II
HUMA 101-O World Cultures I
HUMA 101-O World Cultures II
EDUC 106-O Introduction to Education
EDUC 135-O Philosophical, Sociological and Psychological Foundations in Education
EDUC 171-O Human Growth and Development
EDUC 172-O Educational Psychology
EDUC 214-O Computer Systems in Education
EDUC 276-O Classroom Management
SPED 315-O Teaching Exceptional Children
EDUC 363-O Curriculum Planning and Design
EDUC 355-O Evaluation and Measurement of the Educational Process
EDUC 435-O Interdisciplinary Seminar
EDUC 400-O Diagnosis and Correction of the Reading, Writing and Oral Communication
MATH 173-O Plane and Solid Geometry I
MATH 305-O Probability and Statistics
MATH 221-O Calculus I
MATH 222-O Calculus II
MATH 350-O Linear Algebra
EDUC 333-O Teaching Mathematics in Secondary School
MATH 345-O Abstract Algebra
TESL 223-O Applied Linguistics in ESOL
EDUC 436-O Pedagogical Integration Seminar
EDUC 356-O Foundations of Research in Education
EDUC 450-O Practicum in Math